Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Why I took My Three Kids to a Trump Protest Rally...



Given all that has been happening at Trump rallies these past few months it may seem irresponsible or even downright dangerous to take my kids into the midst of hundreds of people in downtown Kansas City and have them hold signs affirming the humanity and dignity of those that Trump and his campaign have vowed to suppress.

Folks have gotten violent, loud, angry and sometimes even scary. Folks both for and against Trump. But here’s the thing, I cannot allow my kids to be witness to my silence any longer.

I am not what I would describe as a ‘political person.’ Sure, I’ve voted before, even proudly wore my red, white, and blue sticker ALL day, but that’s it. I have never protested publicly anything before. Never carried handmade, brightly colored poster-board signs proclaiming my opinion on anything. And even though I’ve protested plenty at home, or with close friends, I’ve never had the courage to proclaim my convictions to strangers.

Part of that has to do with my ideas of what my responsibilities as a pastor are. First, I’m a pastor to all people, regardless of their political affiliation. It’s important to me that I stay politically neutral as a pastor. I would hate for any political opinion to come between me and any person in need of pastoral care.

Second, as a pastor I feel that I have to be mighty careful in what I say in the pulpit (or as a representative of my church) that could be taken as promoting one party over another. My church’s reputation in the community ought not be abused by my desire to exercise my civic rights.

But, BUT, promoting hateful, racist, riot inciting speech is not a political right. And as a pastor, a mother, and a proud American citizen I feel obligated to speak out and say that this is not okay with me. It is not the community I want my children inheriting. I do not want to have to apologize to them at any time in the future because I failed to stand with those more vulnerable than I.

So Saturday night, I and several of my clergy friends got together and made some simple signs. It was like a re-uniting of Order of the Phoenix, Kansas City style. “Love Thy Muslim Neighbor,” “Love Thy Black Neighbor,” “Love Thy Immigrant Neighbor,” “Love Thy LGBTQ Neighbor.” And, two smaller signs, “LOVE” surrounded by hearts and smiley faces and “Be Nice. Use Kind Words. Be Gentle.”

Those last three from my kids, 15, 7 & 4. I couldn’t be more proud as they stood for hours in the drizzly rain, smiling and waving at those who shouted curses and flipped the bird-the younger two not understanding what exactly these folks mean, but showing love anyway because “We’re supposed to be nice like Jesus.” The older one showing love, because he was PROUD to stand in for his friends who are Gay and Bi-sexual. Who says, ‘They’re my friends, Mom. I have to do this for them.” Thank You, Sweet Jesus, for giving us that lesson. It’s a hard one sometimes.

(Good God, have my husband and I actually raised these kids? These amazing, beautiful, wonderful kids who think it’s like Jesus to stand in for those who are more vulnerable than they...and who are totally all in and willing to say it to anyone, anywhere?)

We did this protest because we are to, actually, love our neighbors.

And, for quite a while we got lots of love in return too. My daughter won the protest I think, she smiled for more pictures than if we added up all the pictures of her entire four years altogether. It’s hard to be an angry racist when a four-year-old with ponytails is smiling up at you with a brightly crayoned sign that says, “Be Nice. Say Kind Things. Be Gentle.” Eventually, though, the mood changed just enough in the crowd for me to mama bear up and take my kids home. And, to be fair, it was from both sides of the crowd. Language matters, is a powerful tool, and is able to incite hate and anger just as easily as it is to show compassion. After we left some folks tried to break through the barriers in front of the theater and received some pepper spray in response. I hear their frustration and anger at hateful rhetoric, but am glad our peaceful protest did not end so violently.

But, on this night, my kids got to see me follow their example. I will no longer be silent in this onslaught of hate. I will be as brave as they, calmly and gladly showing love for ALL of my neighbors. Even the ones with Trump signs in their yards. 


*A version of this blog post is also shared on Erin Wathen's blog found at http://www.patheos.com/blogs/irreverin/

*For another great perspective visit Lara Blackwood Pickrel's post at https://serendipitysoiree.wordpress.com/2016/03/13/standing-for-love-in-kansascity/

No comments:

Post a Comment